About

Sunday 31 December 2017

2017: plenty of highs - and a painful low!

2017 Review: Part I


IT’S review time, and looking back over the past 12 months the year has been a mixed bag, with some fantastic and inspirational experiences, but bit of a ragged (and painful) conclusion.

Some of my highlights have been:


A COLD and windy – but nevertheless exhilarating – relatively flat (note relatively) run around a reservoir near Rugby, Warwickshire.

This has been my one and only run at Draycote so far, but the venue hosts a whole series of events throughout the year. Certainly worth a re-visit.
CHILLY START: My running buddies and me (1960, far right)
  from Massey Ferguson Running Club at Draycote Water.  

    Below, the open expanse of the Draycote reservoir.


COVENTRY HALF MARATHON

MY first half!

I’d marshalled at the previous year’s event, but at that stage didn’t feel confident enough to run the
FULL FIELD: At the start of
Coventry Half Marathon.
distance myself. I’m a ‘late starter,’ just about to enter my fourth year of running.

Although the challenge seemed daunting, I found I loved the training and going out for long runs in preparation, come rain, shine, frost – or whatever else the weather happened to be doing at the time!

One of the benefits of registering for an event is that it not only gives you something to look forward to, but in doing so forces you to lace up your shoes and ‘get out there’ and do something!

It was a great help that my running team-mate, Jill, had also signed up for the half, and we were able to support and encourage each other.

In order to start the year as I meant to go on, I found myself -  on New Year's Day, 2017 - standing rather dubiously at the cold, wet start of a long uphill run. What a wonderful thing that ‘first step’ is!

The route on that occasion was a little over seven miles. I managed numerous other excursions in the build-up to the half, including ‘accidentally’ running – or should that be ‘staggering?’ – 16 miles in appalling weather.

How do you accidentally run 16 miles? (Yes, I was asked!). Well, for a pretty mundane reason, actually. It was windy and freezing, and aggressive rain was perforating my skin like a thousand razor-sharp arrows.
VILLAGE SCENE: Coventry Half Marathon tented village.
Head down against the inclement weather, I’d missed the turning some way out, and had to double back on myself, so clocking up the miles. Not exactly inspiring. I arrived home soaked, almost a block of ice and ready to collapse into a quivering heap.

It did, however, give me an inkling that I could probably manage the half!

In the event, although I’d harboured some reservations about running that distance in a city like Coventry – all those streets and buildings - I found I loved every step. At the top end of the run, we were treated to twisting lanes in the Warwickshire countryside, before heading back towards the city. Wonderful! I also discovered that trying to consume jelly babies en route is a skill to be worked at.
DRAMA BUILDS: The Whittle Arches dominate the skyline over
runners waiting to start at the Coventry Half Marathon.
MASSEY FERGUSON TRACTOR 10k

A LOVELY morning run on Easter Sunday, held for the first time at Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire, former home of the now defunct Royal Show. The medal, featuring Massey’s legendary red tractor, is a real treasure. Being part of a running club, and sharing the experience with your team mates, adds to the delight and satisfaction. There's nothing quite like it!

DAZZLING DISPLAY: Massey Ferguson runners at the club's Tractor 10k.
MONTY  5k

AN enjoyable midweek evening run around Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, starting and ending at Edmonscote sports track. Running on a track is quite an experience in its own right, especially if it's not something you're used to.

I overtook a couple of others to cross the line at the finish - but was pipped at the post by someone who'd 'targeted' me. He whooshed past at the last second like a steam train. Fantastic!

FINAL BRIEFING: Explaining the route and (top picture)
lining up at the start at the Monty 5K.
MARKET DRAYTON 10k

I’D heard about this awesome event the previous year, but was too late to enter. This year, I watched the booking and, thankfully, managed to register. By lunch time the following day, all the places had been snapped up.

Trying to get a place for 2018 proved disappointing. Despite hovering over the website ready to grab a slot as soon as booking opened – along with what felt like the entire UK running community – the site crashed under the fierce demand.
RUN FUN: Drummers (above) and
stalls (below) at Market Drayton.

Several attempts later, I thought I’d successfully signed up, but it was not to be.

However, what it did demonstrate was the popularity of this exciting 10k. It exceeded expectations. There’s a real carnival atmosphere. The run starts and finishes at Grove School, and an annual fete is held in the grounds, so there are marquees and stands and entertainment for the kids.

The run itself, through this picturesque Shropshire market town, is fabulous – and it seems like the whole population comes out to cheer you on. Unbelievable community involvement.

It was scorching, and one of the best bits was being soaked by onlookers brandishing garden hoses. Refreshing!
POPULAR EVENT: Above, runners wait for the
 start at Market Drayton 10k.
You needed a truck for the goodies, which included a large pork pie, an eye-catching T-shirt and a tray or two of yoghurts from the Muller factory, based in the town.

In common with others I later spoke to, I wouldn’t rush out to buy any more of the rather oddly-flavoured dairy product (which apart from one pot, remained unopened), but the giveaway added to the fun and excitement of event.

There was also a voucher you could redeem for a 'free half pint.' The cutting cold Joules ale at the end of the run was heavenly!

If you fancy a fabulous, well-organised, buzzing event, then it might be worth giving the Market Drayton a go – but be warned: you have to be quick off the mark to secure a place!

The Market Drayton run was one of four weekly events I’d booked in that period. The following weekend was my second Half Marathon – at the fabulous Chillington Hall, in Brewood, Staffordshire.


REFRESHING PRIZE: Voucher for a cool half pint
after a hot 10k run at Market Drayton'

PINT PULLING: Keeping a smile on runners' faces with a
welcome half pint at the end of the run.

NEXT: 2017 Review, Part II - Stunning grounds a real winner

No comments:

Post a Comment