About

Sunday 14 July 2019

Delight at another 10k mug on the shelf!


Event: Northbrook 10k
Location: Coventry
Date: Sunday July 14, 2019

WHEN I received a mug as a memento at my first Northbrook 10k in 2017, I felt it was, well, ‘different.’
This year's new-look mug.

‘Useful for my office coffee,’ I thought.

It never actually reached the office, as I popped it on a shelf at home. 

And there it stayed.

Then I gained another in my second Northbrook run last year (2018). I now had a pair and I became quite protective towards them. The first mug had a companion. I quite liked the fact that there were two of them. 

A bit like twins, they sort of belonged together.

And, yes, I have actually used them.

As this year’s 10k approached, I began to look forward not just to the event, but my third mug, and the possibility of collecting a set. (I know. I need to get out more!).

The other day, someone asked ‘how many make a set?’ Good question! I reckon six would be a nice round number.

I think Northbrook Athletic Club, who organise the event, are onto something here. They're tapping into the collecting instinct. I have to enter another three Northbrook 10k’s to make up the six mugs. After that, who knows? Start on the second ‘set’ perhaps? Incentive, or what?

There was a brighter new design this year. So it looks as though I'm going to be running not so much for a 'gold cup,' but another mug on the shelf!

The bling's appealing, too – a good-sized weighty medal!

There's always that buzz before a run, and I lined up with my Massey Ferguson Running Club team-mates in a turnout of nearly 600, for the 2019 Northbrook 10k.

Heading for the start - bright colours on a grey day.
It’s the city's longest-standing event of its kind, and a fixture in the Warwickshire Road Race League.

In contrast to the two previous events, held under scorching sunshine, it was a grey, cool day with intermittent drizzle.

The Northbook 10k is a circular route on the North-West outskirts of Coventry, in the Allesley to Corley area, starting on the residential Brown’s Lane, and winding along scenic country roads.

Arrangements are made to ensure the route is traffic free. Although there’s no absolute guarantee on this, on the three runs I’ve completed, this hasn’t been a problem. 

The course is officially described as ‘undulating’ - some prefer the word ‘hilly!’ - with the highest point at 6k and the lowest at the finish line, a difference, in height, of 80 metres. The course is marked and signed at each kilometer.
Waiting for the start.

In reality, it isn’t too hilly, if you’re expecting steep hills, but it is quite a long, uphill slog for most of the way. There are one or two welcome downhills, and a fairly level section around the 2-to-5k mark, but up until around 6 to 7k, it’s a more or less ‘gentle’ but continuous climb.

The last 3k, however, apart from a slight incline, is downhill, and you can finish fairly fast.

I had the pleasure of running alongside Keith Whitehead, from Knowle and Dorridge Running Club, in the same age category. In the second half especially, we kept passing each other at an evenly matched pace.

While we waited for the off, Keith had said he liked a sprint finish. I was up for that – a nice strong, adrenaline rush for the finish line provides a satisfying conclusion.

What I didn’t account for was the timing of Keith’s sprint, which was much earlier than I anticipated. As he pulled away, I was behind two other runners, and was unable to make up any ground.

Nice weighty medal.
Despite my frantic dash to the finish line, at 51:32 Keith beat me to the post by a good six seconds. Nice one! Well done, Keith! Next time, I’ll watch out for that early sprint!

Further into the run, the drizzle became heavier.

It wasn’t too bad if you were running but, as ever in this kind of weather, all credit must go to the marshals who had to stand in it for the duration, and still managed a cheery smile and hearty support and encouragement!

Big thanks, also, to Northbrook AC and all involved - including local Scouts - for this brilliantly-organised, delightful run.

Already looking forward to next year - I’ll just have to make sure I leave space for another mug!




 
My Northbrook mugs so far - half way towards my first 'set?'
  
Massey Ferguson club at the start of the Northbrook 10k. Below, Massey members with some of
nearly 600 runners who took part.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment